Wednesday 16 January 2013

First cut feedback

After finishing my first cut of my music video I have been able to see what the positives and negatives are and see what I can improve.

Firstly, my music video idea of portraying a meaning of fusions between British and Bajan culture, I feel I achieved this concept in the first 20 seconds as I put in videos of Barbados and London. I used Electric Avenue sign post to start off the video as then this shows intertextual reference to another Caribbean song Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant. On the other hand, I felt this idea fades throughout the rest of the video. To improve this I will be trying to include more shots of London and Barbados for example London Eye, Parliament and the British flag, to break up the solo shots a bit more and hopefully this should illustrate the fusion a bit clearer.

Additionally, 'selecting mise-en-scene including colour, figure, lighting, objects and settings.' I feel this a bit weak. This is because I think the solo shots with just one location gets boring as it is at the same location. There is also a variation of lighting as when I was filming it, the sun would be shining and then sometimes it wouldn't and it is clear on the footage as some shots are darker than the others. To improve this, filming in a different mise-en-scene such as the skate park at South Bank in London. The graffiti will brighten up the shots as it is colourful. The graffiti will also help represent the genre of music and the singers voice as she has quite a bit if attitude in her tone of voice.

Furthermore, 'framing a shot' was not as good as it could be as all the shots were all one level. The shots needed to be a bit more dynamic to show the mise-en-scene and connection between the camera and the performer. More dynamic shots for solo would include low angle shots to a tilt, as well as a bit of movement so they wouldn't be too stiff. The movement of the camera can also represent the movement of the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment