Tuesday 5 February 2013

Bajan Style album artwork

After designing a few album artworks on Photoshop CS6, I have decided which one I would like to use as my final piece. We had to keep in mind certain conventions that had to be used within our album artwork package:
  • Artist iconography
  • Artist branding
  • Typography
  • Genre conventions for your artist
  • Synthesis with music video
Here are a few that I had designed (uncompleted) before:

Image 2
This is the final piece I have decided to use for my front cover:


Here are the steps of how I created the front cover and why I chose these decisions:
  1. Firstly, I started with a texture I had saved to use as my fixed background
  2. Imported a photo onto Photoshop that I wanted to use as my front cover image
  3. Cut out the background of my image, changed the size to fit the texture and the dragged it to the texture
  4. Tested around with colours using curves and then adding another texture on top and blended it to give it the yellow an blue tint
  5. After this I wasn't too happy with the colours so I added a PSD, which brightened up the colours as well as giving a bit more of a blue tint
  6. Adding the text I used Cover Drive's album Bajan Style and cut out the text of 'Cover Drive' and then cut it and pasted it to mine
  7. I then added in the text of Bajan Style
I decided to use this as my front cover as I feel it fits the conventions of the music style as it has the influence of pop culture and Caribbean culture which is shown through the colours. I particularly tried to include a blue and yellow tint to the background, which represents the Bajan colours. I chose this design rather than the first 2 images as I felt that this look more professional and fit the conventions a bit more than the first 2 images. I felt the first 2 images had too much based on the Caribbean culuture whereas the front cover I chose has a bit more balance between the pop culture and the Caribbean culture, which is shown through the use of colours and the flag. I decided to keep the type of 'Cover Drive' on my front cover as this style of font is Cover Drive's iconography, therefore I wanted to keep this.

Inside:



I decided to use a black background of the CD print with the text being in white and yellow. This is because I tested with other colours but they did not look as professional as the black did. I also did not want to over power the colours in my album package as my front and back cover are both bright coloured.

Back cover:

No comments:

Post a Comment